Hi! I hope you are having a wonderful Saturday. I have a delicious summery recipe for you this afternoon. It’s just cooling enough and even better than the noodles and cream sauce I loved eating in college.
Zucchini is such a versatile summer squash that has a high water content making it a great beauty food. It provides quality antioxidants A and C which is also great for our skin and promotes healthy hair. In Chinese Medicine zucchini helps reduce heat in the body.
Zucchini is easy to digest, light and refreshing which aren’t usually the words that come to mind when I think of pasta ;) When I first learned to make zucchini pasta it was amazing. I rushed out and bought the Paderno Spiralizer and pretty much spiralized anything I could until I got bored with it and gave it away. Well I finally purchased it again (the same exact one) and am happy that I did! It’s such a fun tool and as we move into the hottest part of the summer it’s natural to eat light. Zucchini pasta has been a staple over here again and it’s been awesome!
If you don’t have a spiralizer you can slice the zucchini with a mandoline and then use a sharp knife to make the noodles. I’ve even seen bloggers use a regular old grater or vegetable peeler. I’ve made them with a mandoline and vegetable peeler and it’s worked beautifully – you can get a really flat noodle almost like fettuccine! And know I use the word almost very loosely ;)
One of the best things about this recipe is that it comes together in minutes. You can eat this dish totally raw or cook the noodles just a little on the stove. To cook them heat a little coconut oil in a medium pan and sauté them over medium heat for a few minutes. Because they are so high in water they will shrink a little but still taste great!
You can spiralize a bunch of zucchini at one time and keep it in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days. In addition to pasta you can use the noodles in salads, soups and stir-frys – so many possibilities!
Zucchini Noodles with Avocado Basil Cream
- 2 large zucchini
- 1/2 ripe large avocado
- 1/2 small lemon, juiced
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 5 large basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp. Celtic sea salt
- 1 c. cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 10 basil leaves, sliced thin
- 4 Tbsp. hemp hearts
- Spiralize the zucchini or make noodles with a mandoline or vegetable peeler.
- Combine the avocado, lemon juice, tahini, 5 basil leaves and salt in a small food processor. Pulse until combined. If it’s too thick and not moving well add water by the tablespoon (I used 1 tablespoon in mine) and process again until you have a creamy sauce. Add more lemon juice to taste.
- Toss the noodles with 1/2 of the cream sauce until well combined.
- Add the tomatoes and basil and toss again.
- Serve in two pasta bowls and sprinkle with hemp hearts.
- Season with a little more salt as needed.
- Extra cream sauce will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 days.
There you have it! So simple and delicious. We’re already planning to eat this again tomorrow. The avocado cream makes a perfect spread too, enjoy!